Books & Magazines
Friends of Verde
Eco Organizations and Info
- US Green Build Council - The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) is a non-profit composed of leaders from every sector of the building industry working to promote buildings that are environmentally responsible, profitable and healthy places to live and work. Our more than 10,000 member organizations and our network of 75 regional chapters are united to advance our mission of transforming the building industry to sustainability.
- Southface - promotes sustainable homes, workplaces and communities through education, research, advocacy and technical assistance.
- Forest Stewardship Council - The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is an international organization that brings people together to find solutions which promote responsible stewardship of the world?s forests.
- EPA e-cycling - Promotes the safe management of hazardous components and supports the recovery and reuse of valuable materials.
- Sustainable Furniture Council - The Sustainable Furniture Council is a non-profit industry association committed to promoting sustainable practices within the home furnishings business.
- 1% for the planet - One Percent for the Planet is an alliance of companies that recognize the true cost of doing business and donate 1% of their sales to environmental organizations worldwide.
- Climate Counts - Climate Counts is a collaborative effort (funded by Stonyfield Farm) to bring consumers and companies together in the fight against global climate change.
- American Tree Farm System - The American Tree Farm System (ATFS), a program of the American Forest Foundation, is committed to sustaining forests, watershed and healthy habitats through the power of private stewardship.
- Earthcraft Homes - Green building program that serves as a blueprint for healthy, comfortable homes that reduce utility bills and protect the environment. EarthCraft House is a partnership between the Greater Atlanta Home Builders Association, Southface, government and industry partners.
- TED - TED is best thought of as a global community. It's a community welcoming people from every discipline and culture who have just two things in common: they seek a deeper understanding of the world, and they hope to turn that understanding into a better future for us all.
- Stop Global Warming - The Stop Global Warming Virtual March is a non-partisan effort to bring citizens together to declare that global warming is here now and that it is time to demand solutions.
- GREENGUARD - The GREENGUARD Environmental Institute (GEI) is an industry-independent, non-profit organization that oversees the GREENGUARD Certification Program. As an ANSI Authorized Standards Developer, GEI establishes acceptable indoor air standards for indoor products, environments, and buildings. GEI?s mission is to improve public health and quality of life through programs that improve indoor air.
- Cradle to Cradle Certification - Cradle to Cradle Certification provides a company with a means to tangibly, credibly measure achievement in environmentally-intelligent design and helps customers purchase and specify products that are pursuing a broader definition of quality.
- Green Home Guide - Willem Maas founded GreenHomeGuide in San Francisco in 2004 to address the frustration and uncertainty he heard from people who wanted to green their homes but got bogged down trying to find reliable advice and sorting out products? competing claims.
- The Global Compact - Through the power of collective action, the Global Compact seeks to promote responsible corporate citizenship so that business can be part of the solution to the challenges of globalisation.
- B Corporations- "B Corporations" are a new type of corporation that are purpose-driven and create benefit for all stakeholders, not just shareholders.
- Architecture for Humanity - Architecture for Humanity is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization founded in 1999 to promote architectural and design solutions to global, social and humanitarian crises.
- endependence - Know more about global warming and it causes. Endependence energy audit & consultant services help people, businesses and government to move towards energy independence. Achieve the goal of energy independence with alternative & renewable energy sources.
- Southeast Green - THE directory of green products, organic products and green services in the Southeast.
Eco Blogs and News
- SustainWord - The environmental blog of Matt Hoots, a green building expert in atlanta.
- Grist - Environmental new, commentary, and humor
- AJC Living Green - Atlanta eco news
- TreeHugger - TreeHugger is the leading media outlet dedicated to driving sustainability mainstream. Partial to a modern aesthetic, we strive to be a one-stop shop for green news, solutions, and product information.
- eccorazzi - The lastest in Green Gossip.
- Maria Enegia - Highlighting companies and innovations that are leading the world toward more efficient, reliable, and secure energy in the 21st century.
- EcoGeek - EcoGeek devotes its pages to exploring the symbiosis between nature and technology.
- enn (Environmental News Network) - Provides a global perspective on environmental issues, and to promotes thought, discussion, and awareness among readers.
- Jetson Green - Blog dedicated to green building.
- World Changing - WorldChanging.com works from a simple premise: that the tools, models and ideas for building a better future lie all around us. That plenty of people are working on tools for change, but the fields in which they work remain unconnect.
- Inhabitat - Inhabitat.com is a weblog devoted to the future of design, tracking the innovations in technology, practices and materials that are pushing architecture and home design towards a smarter and more sustainable future.
- TriplePundt - Serving people, planet and profit: An 'integrated bottom-line' approach to looking at business from the next generation of MBAs
- Simply Green - Green and crafty ideas for everyday living. From Danny Seo, author of the books "Simply Green Parties" and "Simply Green Giving".
- Sustainable Style Foundation - The Sustainable Style Foundation (SSF) is an international, member-supported nonprofit organization created to provide information, resources and innovative programs that promote sustainable living and sustainable design.
- Sundance Channel -
- Green Maven - Green Maven is your gateway to the Green Web. We're a search engine that focuses on green, conscious, and sustainable websites.
- Earth2Tech - Earth2Tech is a publication devoted to intersection between the tech industry, their eco-moves and the next generation of tech innovation that will combat climate change.
- Cleantech - the premier cleantech site for commentary on technologies, news, and issues relating to next generation energy and the environment.
Books and Magazines
Friends of Verde
- Laura Walker Ltd - Great Interior Designer and also one of the owners of Verde Home
- The Artery - Marietta Street (Westside) Neighborhood Association
- Seattle Rug Cleaner Blogspot - A great source of expert information on fine rugs and rug cleaning.
- SpongoBongo - The online reference for for detailed information about handwoven rugs.
- Verde Lifestyles - A great home accents and green living store.
- Aviary Organic Beauty Collective - Our friends over in StudioPlex have created this fabulous salon/spa. This a great resource for eco pampering in a warm and freindly atmosphere.
- FYI on DYE - Ezinearticle.com link to an article we wrote about the dye used in rugs.
- In All Fairness - Ezinearticle.com link to and article we wrote about Fair Trade.
- Why Knot - Ezinearticle.com link to an article we wrote about rug construction.
- Green Design 101 - Ezinearticle.com link to an article we wrote about green design.
- The Truth About Dust Bunnies - Ezinearticle.com link to a piece we wrote about rugs shedding.
- Inc magazine Green 50 - Inc.com site dedicated to success green business practice.
- Eco Advantage - Website created the author of Green to Gold about green business.
- Native Energy - NativeEnergy helps you help build Native American, farmer-owned, community based renewable energy projects that create social, economic, and environmental benefits.
- Low Impact Living - Good website for examining the impact our daily lives have on the environment and suggestion on how to change.
- Local Harvest - Looking for a food closer to home? Start here, a great listing of CSA's and farmers markets.